Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure designed to correct issues with the labia majora (outer vaginal lips) and the labia minora (inner vaginal lips). By performing this completely customized procedure, Dr. Lee can alter the size, thickness or shape of the labia by making them smaller or more symmetrical.
Most labiaplasty procedures can take place comfortably with the patient under general anaesthesia.
Dr Date first determines how much of the labial tissue has to be removed for your labia correction. Then, carefully and artistically, the excess skin from the affected area is excised. This generally involves a strip of lax skin and some underlying fatty tissue.
The wound is closed after controlling any bleeding and stitching the open skin edges with absorbable stitches. The wounds are then covered with a sterile pad and gauze dressing.
Mild to moderate tenderness and temporary bruising are common for several days post-procedure. To allow for proper healing, women should avoid any strenuous physical activities and intercourse for a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks.
- You will be shifted to your resting suite after the anaesthetists and surgeon is satisfied about your well-being and recovery .
- You will be allowed food and drinks after a few hours depending on the type of anaesthesia administered to you.
- There will be minor pain if any. However, the labia may be sore and swollen for a few days. Cold compresses and simple painkillers will keep you comfortable.
- The treated area may also feel slightly numb and normal sensation is generally regained in a few weeks to months.
- There may be some bruising and swelling near the operated site and can extend to inner thigh as well.
- The scars may initially appear reddish and raised but will gradually settle.
- Recovery generally takes 2 weeks during which, the area may feel uncomfortable, tight and stretched. This is completely normal and should not give cause for concern. Bruising and swelling on and around the labia will slowly start to subside after about 3 days, and in most cases will have disappeared after a couple of weeks. You will barely notice the scars in the end.
- Sexual activity should be avoided for at least a month.